Wednesday, October 1, 2008

A New Season

I just came in and am taking a break from cutting the grass and raking up the last remants of the debris post hurricane Gustav. Phew! Glad that's over!

I know it's been a while and I've never posted anything about the hurricane, but after not having electricity for 13.5 days and then attempting to "catch" up, I'm just now getting to it. The above picture is the day before the storm as we (well, actually--Brett) were "boarding" up. Notice how you can barely see our neighbor's house to the right. My, how things have changed!

After being at the hospital for 40 hours, this was what I came home to. Just slightly overwhelming! This picture below shows the most amazing testimony!

Our neighbors 60 year old pine fell between our (new) garage and our house.
The window on that wall of the house was the only window we did not board up (thinking it was the safest!)
This is a picture from inside our bedroom, and not ONE pane was even cracked!


We had a lot of family, friends, and neighbors help us clean up. I became tearful many times during that day. I was so exhausted from being at work (where it was 95 degrees in the ER without air circulating!), and looking at all we had to do was just overwhelming. I so appreciated the help of everyone who aided to lift some of this burden off of our backs.

We do have damage to the garage, the master bedroom roof, and to the roof in the front of the house, but it could have been so much worse!! We thank the Lord everyday that we have a home that we can come home to.

I'm so glad to be back at home after living out of my car for 2 weeks and staying on different people's floors. Brett learned one thing about women during all of this --that women just "want to be at home." I wanted to go home. He wanted air conditioning, but I wanted my house even if it was hot! It made me have great compassion on those in TX and in New Orleans after all of the devastation they endured. I can't begin to imagine.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You REALLY got hit!! Looks like a devastating time, but you made it through. I'm especially impressed by your work at the hospital while all of this was going on. Way to go, Cathy!

    ReplyDelete